Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Kaplan Boxing Archive Surfaces


Childhood sketch by Muhammad Ali.
Photo: Andrew Henderson/ The New York Times

Boxing's most valuable archive, the infamous Kaplan collection will be preserved at Brooklyn College thanks to my friend David Smith, supervising librarian at the New York Public Library. The 2,600 books, 200,000 rare prints, 790 boxes of newspaper clippings dating from 1890 to 2007, and 300 tapes of fights and interviews is said to be worth about $3 million. The story how David saved this collection is fascinating and typical of his persistence in things he believes in. David was instrumental in my 6-year quest solving my own personal Holy Grail for my book who made the first snowman.

Photo: Andrew Henderson/ The New York Times

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an auctioneer, I shudder, laugh, and shake my head simultaneously when I think about what that Ali childhood sketch could bring if offered up for bidding.